In a tragic development, over 60 students from two schools were rushed to the hospital over suspected food poisoning.
In two separate incidents, 22 students from Tlotlompho Primary School in Ga-Rankuwa, Tshwane, and 40 students from Reimolotswe Primary School in Winterveldt were rushed to the hospital after falling critically ill at school.
This comes after they consumed snacks from street vendors.
62 Students Rushed to Hospital With Suspected Food Poisoning
According to Zimoja, 22 students from Tlotlompho Primary School were rushed to a local medical facility after falling sick at the school. These students fell ill after consuming snacks they had purchased from a street vendor.
After eating snacks, the students reportedly started experiencing abdominal cramps, diarrhoea and other severe symptoms.
“The said learners experienced vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal cramps and shortness of breath. Meanwhile, some were released to parental care after medical attention, and only four were referred to hospital were also discharged.
Meanwhile, 40 students from Reimolotswe Primary School were also rushed to the hospital after eating snacks they had bought from hawkers. The affected students are said to have eaten snacks called “dibombolina.”
Speaking out after the suspected food poisoning incident, the Spokesperson for Gauteng Education, Steve Mabona, revealed that the students were rushed to the hospital after experiencing symptoms such as headaches, vomiting and diarrhoea.
“Only three were attended at a local facility and discharged, meanwhile about 37 were transferred and treated at the hospital after experiencing symptoms associated with diarrhoea, vomiting and headache and they were later discharged. Fortunately, all were discharged, and only one was admitted,” said Mabona.
Two Children Die After Eating Snacks
This comes barely a week after two more children died after eating snacks from a foreign-owned spaza.
The two children from Vredefort in Free State reportedly bought the snacks from a foreign spaza shop. Tragically, after eating the snacks, the children began to experience severe vomiting and eventually collapsed.
An ambulance was immediately dispatched to the scene. However, despite a swift response from emergency services, they were pronounced dead.