Victoria University of Wellington is giving scholarships to people who are starting their PhD studies. Both local and international students can apply for these scholarships, and they are given based on academic excellence, regardless of the subject being studied.
The university thinks that doctoral study (PhD) is important, so they are providing these scholarships to support it. If you get the Wellington Doctoral Scholarship, you will receive a yearly payment of $29,500 and have your domestic tuition fees covered for up to three years.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Host Institution(s): Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Scholarship Worth: $29,500 per annum stipend
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Doctoral
Nationality: International Students
Application Deadline: March 01, 2023
Details of the Victoria University in Wellington Doctoral Scholarship
Scholarships are available to the best candidates who apply for Doctoral admission and scholarship throughout the year. To be eligible for the Wellington Doctoral Scholarship, the applicant needs to have a good academic record, excellent academic references, and either:
- Shown potential to do high-quality research, or
- Published articles in reputable journals based on their education and experience.
The Eligibility Criteria for the scholarship
To qualify for the Victoria University Wellington Doctoral Scholarship, you need to meet the following requirements:
- You must be an international student
- You must apply for a Doctorate (PhD)
- You can be a graduate from any university, in or outside New Zealand
- You must plan to enroll as a full-time student for a Doctorate (PhD)
- You can already be studying for your Doctorate (PhD) at Victoria University of Wellington.
How-to-Apply: Interested candidates applying to do a Doctorate at Victoria University of Wellington and applying for funding to do so is also available from the Wellington Faculty of Graduate Research website. General information about the doctoral study is also available on this website.
To apply for this scholarship click here
About the Victoria University in Wellington
The Victoria Doctoral Scholarship is a scholarship for international students that cover tuition fees, a living allowance, and an establishment grant for settling in New Zealand. The scholarship is given based on academic merit and research potential, and recipients are expected to study full-time for their doctorate at the university.
To be eligible for the scholarship, you must have finished your honors or master’s degree with research components and have met the English language requirements to get into the university. You also need to have an offer of a place in a doctoral program at the Victoria University of Wellington.
One can apply for the scholarship twice a year, on 1 March and 1 November, through the university’s online application system. You need to submit academic transcripts, a research proposal, and references.
To learn more about the Victoria Doctoral Scholarship and other scholarships that international students can apply for at the Victoria University of Wellington, you can visit the scholarship website of the university.
Short History of the Victoria University
Victoria University of Wellington is a university in the capital city of New Zealand, Wellington. The university started in 1897 as Victoria College, which was part of the University of New Zealand. Its purpose was to give higher education to the people of Wellington.
The college’s foundation stone was laid in 1904, and it started classes in 1907. At first, the college offered degrees in arts, science, and commerce. Later, it expanded to offer degrees in law, music, education, and engineering.
In 1961, Victoria College became Victoria University of Wellington, gaining full university status. Since then, the university has grown in size and reputation, becoming one of the leading research universities in New Zealand.
Victoria University of Wellington has always been committed to academic excellence and providing a well-rounded education to its students. The university has also played an important role in Wellington’s cultural and intellectual life, hosting many public lectures, exhibitions, and performances.
Victoria University of Wellington is a community of students and scholars who come from many different places. The university is famous for its research in areas such as earth sciences, social sciences, humanities, and creative arts. It is well known all over the world for its research. The university offers many different programs for students who want to study at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. It is also known for its research that has important implications for the world.
Important Information foreign students must know
If you are a foreign student planning to study at the Victoria University of Wellington, here are some important things to know:
- Visa Requirements: You will need a student visa to study in New Zealand. You can apply for a visa once you have been accepted to a course at Victoria University. You will need to provide evidence of your enrolment, proof of funds to cover your living expenses, and evidence of your health and character.
- English Language Requirements: You will need to meet the English language requirements set by Victoria University. This means you may need to take an English language proficiency test, such as the IELTS or TOEFL.
- Accommodation: There are several accommodation options available to international students, including on-campus dormitories, homestays, and private apartments. It is important to research and plan for accommodation well in advance of your arrival.
- Health Insurance: It is recommended that you have health insurance for the duration of your stay in New Zealand. Victoria University offers a health insurance plan specifically for international students.
- Cost of Living: New Zealand can be an expensive country to live in, especially in major cities like Wellington. You should budget for accommodation, food, transportation, and other living expenses.
- Student Support: Victoria University has a range of support services for international students, including academic support, accommodation advice, and cultural events. It is important to take advantage of these services to help you adjust to life in New Zealand.
- Cultural Differences: New Zealand has a unique culture that may be different from your own. It is important to be open-minded and respectful of cultural differences. The university offers cultural events and programs to help you learn about New Zealand culture.
By keeping these important points in mind, you can better prepare for your studies at Victoria University of Wellington as a foreign student.