In another tragic heart-wrenching incident, two children from Vredefort in Free State died after eating snacks from a foreign-owned spaza shop.
The tragic incident shocked the community and prompted a thorough investigation.
Two More Children Die After Eating Snacks
The two children, aged three and four, reportedly bought the snacks from a foreign spaza shop operating in their area. However, a few minutes after eating the snacks, they began to experience severe vomiting and tragically collapsed.
An ambulance was immediately dispatched to the scene, but despite the swift response, the two young girls were pronounced dead at a multi-purpose centre in Mokwallo, Vredefort.
Police Launch Investigations
The Police have since launched investigations into the case. However, at the time of reporting, no one has been arrested in connection with the deaths of the two young girls.
Speaking to Sunday World, Free State Provincial Police Commissioner, Lieutenant-General Baile Motswenyane, emphasized the importance of a diligent investigation. He stated;
“We want to assure the community of Mokwallo that as soon as the postmortem process has been completed and the results thereof prove that any specific person must carry the responsibility for their deaths, that individual will face the full might of the law.”
A Disturbing Trend
Regrettably, this incident is part of a concerning trend where children have fallen seriously ill or lost their lives after consuming snacks from spaza shops, particularly those owned by foreign nationals.
Just a month ago, in Naledi, Soweto, two children met a similar fate after allegedly consuming biscuits purchased from a shop owned by a foreign national.
In Westonaria, another tragic incident occurred in October when two children were declared dead upon their arrival at Mandela Clinic in Bekkersdal after consuming snacks reportedly purchased from a local taxi rank.